Jofra Archer to be back in the Test series after he breached the safety protocols related to the COVID-19. Archer was ruled out of the second Test after the news came out that the Barbados-borne bowler had visited his home after the First Test. The players from both the teams and the umpires were staying in a bio-secure environment to prevent the spread of the disease.
Archer will be available to play the third and final Test for England against West Indies. The news was announced on Saturday, during the day 3 of the second Test when the match was paused due to heavy downpour when England was determined to level the three-match series at 1-1.
Jofra to be back in the final game
Fast bowler Archer visited his home on Monday, after England’s loss in the First Test and during that time met an unnamed individual, according to sources, which has caused the havoc, before the team travelled to Manchester for the second Test.
Soon the news came out and Archer was dropped from the Second Test which started on Thursday. Jofra Archer remained self-isolated in the onsite hotel room at Old Trafford for five days.
In a disciplinary meeting chaired by England managing director Ashley Giles, it was decided that the 25-year-old spinner Jofra Archer will be back in the finale and he would be imposed an “undisclosed fine”, which is believed to be about 30, 000 pounds and a written warning would also be given which would be sufficient for his breach.
It is believed that Jofra’s “impeccable record” acted in his favour along with his remorse after the news broke out.
However, the bowler must test two consecutive negatives only after that he will be allowed in the game. The ECB statement said that the young bowler would rejoin the team on Tuesday- three days before the third Test starts on July 24, Friday.
“Jofra Archer has been fined an undisclosed amount and received an official written warning after admitting to breaching the team’s bio-secure protocols on Monday 13 July when he made an unauthorised visit to his home in Hove,” said an ECB statement.
Giles, the former spinner from England has said that the breach of the regulations by Archer was a potential “disaster” that could have cost “tens of millions of pounds” and at the same time act as a threat to the international programme that was taking place amidst the pandemic.
Jofra supported by cricketers
But Giles added: “Young men make mistakes… Jof will learn from it.
“He is a fine young man, incredibly polite, works hard and is a great asset to this team.”
Ben Stokes, the star England player also supported his teammate and said, We really need to be there to support Jofra right now.”
On Thursday Jofra Archer was apologetic and said he was “extremely sorry. He also added, “I fully accept the consequences of my actions.”
The young pacer emerged in the international game last year when he bowled the Super Over in England’s World Cup win over New Zealand at the Lord’s.
Day: 3 was intervened by rain
On Saturday, the England vs West Indies second Test was being played which was interrupted by the heavy downpour. England made 469-9 in their first innings. Stokes scored 176 and Sibley a 120, both sharing a partnership of 260.
Sam Curran removed John Campbell and left the Windies at 32-1.
“It’s looking like we’ll have to take 19 wickets in two days,” Stokes told Sky Sports. “But the wicket has offered something throughout the whole Test so far.
“And we know that once we get on a roll, anything is possible with the bowling attack we have,” he added.
Jofra Archer is making a come back in third and final Test against the Windies, it will definitely strengthen the team’s pace line up.