England’s star cricketer Jofra Archer was out of the England vs West Indies Second Test after he was accused of breaking “bio-secure protocols”. The bowler was sent for a five days isolation aiming to stop coronavirus infections, as said by the England and Wales Cricket Board.
Both the teams had been living in a bio-secure “bubble” at the Ageas Bowl, which was the venue for the First Test, last week and the Emirates Old Trafford, where the last two matches of the Three-Test series will be played, to fight against the spread of the infectious virus.
According to trusted sources, the fast bowler had previously visited his family after the First Test at Old Trafford, in Brighton, breaching the protocols.
Jofra has accepted his mistake
Jofra Archer apologised for putting his teammates in “danger”. The removal of the bowler was announced just three hours before the second Test was scheduled to be held on Thursday in Manchester.
“I am extremely sorry for what I have done,” Archer, who played in last week’s first Test, said in an ECB statement.
Jofra has accepted his mistake and apologized for breaking the safety measures and protocols.
“I have put, not only myself but the whole team and management in danger. I fully accept the consequences of my actions, and I want to sincerely apologise to everyone in the bio-secure bubble.”
Archer was made into the playing eleven after his fellow bowlers Mark Wood and James Anderson were rested. The bowler is now under strict self-isolation and would need to test two consecutive negative results to get back in the game.
“The West Indies team have been made aware and are satisfied with the measures that have been imposed,” the ECB statement.
Though sources could not confirm whether Archer would face any further disciplinary actions, it is believed that the breach is sure to provoke angry responses from the officials at Lord’s as they had made tiring efforts to persuade both the West Indies as well as the Pakistan boards to tour England amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, that has taken more than 44,000 lives in Britain.
ECB will lash out
Earlier, it was a very huge concern for the ECB that the COVID-19 pandemic would wipe out the entire 2020 cricket programme. ECB chief executive Tom Harrison outlined a worst-case scenario of a loss of 380 million pounds if that happened.
So it was very important for the ECB that the West Indies series and Pakistan’s Tour of England happened in a bio-secure environment, keeping in mind the safety of the players.
As of now, England has not called up any replacement into their second Test playing eleven for the Barbados-borne quick bowler Jofra Archer. Archer burst into the international game last year when he bowled fantastically in the decisive Super Over in the team’s World Cup Final win over New Zealand at the Lord’s.
Archer’s absence has genuinely deprived England of speed, in the Second Test-Day 1, with him having hit the 90 mph mark during 3-45 in the second innings at Southampton, the First Test where West Indies won. It is yet to see the consequences of Jofra Archer being out of the second Test.