India’s veteran spinner Ravichandran Ashwin and two Australia players in the RCB squad — Kane Richardson & Adam Zampa withdrew from IPL 2021.
Amid the crunch time of the COVID-19, the increasing number of positive cases saw three players withdrew from the Indian Premier League on Sunday. However, Ashwin decided to support his family during the pandemic. The veteran Test and ODI player of India, said that he will take a break from playing in the cash-rich T20 league where he plays for the Delhi Capitals team.
“My family and extended family are putting up a fight against #COVID19 and I want to support them during these tough times,” Ashwin tweeted.
“I expect to return to play if things go in the right direction. Thank you @DelhiCapitals. Extending our full support to you in these difficult times, @ashwinravi99 Sending you and your family all the strength and prayers from all of us at Delhi Capitals,” the franchise tweeted.
Meanwhile, Ravichandran Ashwin has played in 77 Tests, 111 ODIs and 46 T20 Internationals as well. He has so far claimed 409 Test wickets as well.
Ravichandran Ashwin to support his family amid COVID-19
After this, Kane Richardson and Adam Zampa have also decided to return home. RCB tweeted. “Adam Zampa & Kane Richardson are returning to Australia for personal reasons and will be unavailable for the remainder of #IPL2021. Royal Challengers Bangalore management respects their decision and offers them complete support.”
Earlier, another Australia pace bowler Andrew Tye has also left his franchise Rajasthan Royals (RR) for ‘personal reasons’, after his teammate, England’s Liam Livingstone had also returned to home citing the ‘bio-bubble fatigue’.
Meanwhile, the Sydney Morning Herald (SMH) on Monday has reported that many Australian players are ‘nervous about securing safe passage back home after the [Scott] Morrison government (Australian government) reduced the number of incoming passengers allowed from India’.
However, India is currently fighting amid the pandemic, with around 3.5 lakh daily COVID-19 cases and insufficient medical facilities. And, Sunday witnessed 3.54 lakh new cases with over 2800 deaths as well.
“Several sources close to the situation said on Sunday that multiple Australian players in India were seeking to leave the tournament early amid India’s skyrocketing coronavirus cases and recent travel restrictions imposed on people returning to Australia from India,” said the report in SMH.
On the other hand, Cricket Australia has released a statement. “Cricket Australia and the Australian Cricketers’ Association remain in regular contact with Australian players, coaches and commentators taking part in the Indian Premier League, which is being conducted under strict biosecurity protocols,” a statement on Monday afternoon read. “We will continue to listen to feedback from those on the ground in India and the advice of the Australian Government. Our thoughts are with the people of India at this difficult time.”