The COVID-19 pandemic had already caused a four months break for cricket within the country with no improvement. International cricket has resumed on July 8th with the England vs West Indies First Test match being played in Southampton. Amidst this crisis, the BCCI president Sourav Ganguly spoke on Domestic Cricket and said the domestic game will be played only when the country will be safe for the young players to travel within for their Ranji Trophy Matches.
There’s huge uncertainty regarding the future of India’s domestic matches. The Indian Premier League is speculated to happen in October behind closed doors. The 2020-21 domestic season would have showcased Vijay Hazare in August, followed by Ranji Trophy, Duleep Trophy and Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy. Irani Cup from the last season was cancelled when Lockdown 1 was announced.
Sourav Ganguly on Domestic Cricket
When the former Indian captain and BCCI President was asked about the future of domestic cricket he said, “It is necessary, but it will happen only after coronavirus. When it is safe, only then, especially junior cricket.”
He also said that as India was a large country, teams needed time to travel from one place to another for their matches. As of now, that is neither safe nor permitted.
“We don’t want to expose young players. Our country is so large and our domestic cricket is so robust that everyone has to travel and play. So till the time, it is not safe, it will not happen,” clarified the BCCI boss to SportsTak.
India’s COVID-19 situation, on the other hand, is not much improved. On Thursday India recorded a single-day spike of 24, 879 Covid-19 positive cases. The overall count reached 7, 67, 296. 21, 129 people have died in total and the country has 487 new fatalities.
Amidst this crisis, after Sourav Ganguly’s comment on Domestic Cricket, the various tournaments for age-group cricket also seems impossible to happen, as of now.